The physical deconditioning on top of the motor, sensory and perceptual symptoms following a stroke or brain injury can easily affect the heart and lung function of our clients. Some of our clients have pre-existing conditions affecting the heart and lungs. These pre-existing conditions can further aggravate following a stroke or brain injury and must be addressed in the rehabilitation process.
This is why embedded in our practice is our Cardio-Respiratory Physiotherapy Services. We have treatment programs that help prevent, rehabilitate, and develop compensatory strategies for clients with chronic or acute conditions affecting the heart and lungs if these conditions are found to be present. We address any issues that causes shortness of breath, retention of pulmonary secretions, persistent cough, easy fatigability and reduce exercise tolerance.
Our Cardio- Respiratory Physiotherapists are trained and experienced in the following techniques:
- Cardio-Respiratory Assessments
- Breathing Facilitation Exercises
- Active Cyclic Breathing Techniques
- Postural Drainage
- Vibrations and Percussions
- Coughing Strategies
- Chest Clearance Techniques
- Thoracic Mobilisation Techniques
- Assisted Mobility Exercises
- Individually Tailored Exercises
- Use of Respiratory Care Equipment